Monday, February 10, 2014

Pinball Violence: Rumble in the Bronx







Time for another installment of Pinball Violence!  My friends and I have been really obsessed with Jackie Chan movies lately, so we've been digging through netflix and used DVD bins for anything we can get our hands on.  This is NOT the blog to go off on a tangent about Jackie Chan movies, but suffice it to say that they are incredible pieces of visual storytelling and staging that everyone should get excited about.  At least watch Supercop on Netflix!

Anyway, in Rumble in the Bronx, Jackie Chan is visiting his uncle who lives in NYC and has just gotten married.  The uncle owns a convenient store and Jackie is helping him sell if off.  Jackie gets involved with the youths that are terrorizing the neighborhood, and ends up taking the fight to them.  The gang hangout is itself a thing of beauty, but it wasn't until Jackie entered the inner sactum that my jaw dropped.  There were pinball machines and playfields EVERYWHERE.  I am NOT into gang activity, but I would SERIOUSLY consider it if it meant I could hang out there!


Once we see the pinball machines, all of my friends looked at me.  We knew what was coming.  At first, the ensuing fight stays away from the machines, and even goes into another room.  Not long after, though, they're back in the first room and SMASH!  BANG!  KABLOOMERS!  Bats are flying and pinball machines are getting toasted!


Ugh!  Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVED the sequence.  Jackie Chan is a MASTER of integrating props into his fight sequences.  It just made the DTZ in me cringe a little...

No comments:

Post a Comment